Movie Review: Underworld Rise of the Lycans
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
If you’ve seen Underworld and Underworld: Evolution (I have many, many times) then you know the premise of this story. It’s just as the title says — the rise of the lycans. This prequel is Lucien’s origin story, it’s the origin story of the vampire-lycan war, and it’s the story of the love between a vampire and a lycan and the chaos that ensues because of that love.
I’d just like to start this review with one word — WOW!
If this movie had come out at the same time as Twilight, then Twilight would have had its butt kicked.
Every time the producers and directors come back to this storyline, they do a better job. This third installment, even though it is a prequel, is magnificent. They did a beautiful job. Before I gush too much, I’d like to note that the special effects were minimal. Plot and acting carried this movie, not flashy gimmicks.
That’s not to say there weren’t fight scenes. You got to see some awesome sword fighting and hand-to-hand. There was shifting and shifter battles and vampire rough-housing — all the things you expect from an Underworld installment, but the plot was the main focus. That plot was the plight of the lycans under vampire rule.
As I said above, if you saw Underworld then you know the entire movie (because they glossed over it in a short flashback). Well… sort of. There were slight deviations. Sonya’s hair wasn’t blonde, for instance. But, those deviations were for the best. I have no complaints… actually, I still think the vampires were kind of weak for vampires. The lycans got badass in this movie, so I forgive the less-than-spectacular vampires.
Without giving anything away, I have to say my favorite part of the movie was the charge. How’s that for a teaser? 😛
This movie could have easily been a summer blockbuster and, while I’m happy they didn’t because that would have meant waiting, I’m not sure why they didn’t hold off like the Harry Potter folks.
There is violence and it is graphic. I would caution parents, but if your kid saw the first two installments, then this one shouldn’t be an issue. For the vampire and lycan fans, for the Underworld fans — YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE!
– 2012 – Well, I am a natural disaster movie nut so I am totally there. Besides, the preview totally got my attention. It’s not often you see a tsunami breaking over a mountain range. Google it and check out the trailer.
– Race to Witch Mountain – Did I already write something about this? If so, I’m doing it again. I loved the first installments of this saga. Add in The Rock and I am so going to see this. 😀 It’s nice to see Disney going back to what works ’cause those prequels and sequels to stories that shouldn’t have prequels and sequels were starting to grate… by like a lot.
– Adventureland – No. This is a movie my husband would go to the movies to see. This is a movie I’ll wait to see on television… network television.
– Watchmen – Pins and needles… that’s what I’m waiting on. I’m going to re-read the graphic novel again… as soon as I find it.
– Fired Up – Why are we rehashing the Bring It On plot with men? *sigh* I’ll wait for the DVD.