Movie Review: Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D
Alice is back and she’s on a mission to uncover the truth about Arcadia and its mysterious message of hope and safety.
Fun to watch. I would have probably loved it if not for the wandering singularities and the to-be-continued ending.
Anyone who has read my previous reviews knows how much I hate when movies don’t end. I don’t care if a movie is part of a series. Each installment needs to have a definite ending. By “definite”, I mean a stopping point that may HINT (big letters here) at a next movie but is sufficiently wrapped that the viewers won’t get ticked off if that “next movie” doesn’t come. I’m not saying there won’t be a Resident Evil 5, because there probably will. On the off chance that there isn’t, they left us in a really CRAPPY place.
On that note, don’t leave as soon as the credits roll. There’s a little tidbit a few seconds into the credits. It’s somewhat important and I’m sure they’ll rehash it in the next movie, but it’s fun to see. Though again, it leaves the movie in a “not ended” state.
The wandering singularities. I would list them all but that would count as a spoiler and we all know I hate those more than I hate movies that don’t end. Let’s just say there were a LOT of unanswered tidbits in this movie. I seriously hope they aren’t saving them for the next movie.
Another annoyance was the predictability of it all. You knew who was going to die and you could pretty much guess when. The actor might as well have said, “Cannon fodder character, reporting for duty.” You knew they weren’t going to make it past that scene.
Other than that, the movie was entertaining. I was reminded of a shirt I saw at Dragon*Con that said, “Fast Zombies Suck.” These guys were booking it for their meal. I’m sure they were annoying in the video game setting.
On a weird side note, did anyone else think that Wesker looked like a young John Travolta? Was that just me? With the shades on, I mean. Maybe that was just me. Whatever.
If you’re a completionist, like me, then you’ll want to see this latest installment. If the third movie annoyed you, then you might want to wait for DVD rather than shelling out the cash.
– My Soul to Take – already commented on this.
– Red – this one too.
– The Social Network – Do we really need to have a movie about the guy who invented Facebook?
– Jackass 3D – I will admit to having seen the first two (not in theaters) and that the clips from 3 were funny. I am NOT seeing this in theaters.
– Let Me In – An American remake of Let the Right One In, a movie from Sweden. I can already tell that they changed a lot, though the essential movie is the same. I’ll go see it (in theaters no less) just so I can write a review and report on the differences.
– Skyline – War of the Worlds meets Cloverfield. Looks interesting. Looks.
– Tron Legacy – Different trailer that makes me want to see this movie EVEN MORE.
– Priest – This trailer made me want to run out and get the graphic novel. It’s a movie set for summer 2011. To which I say, “Why the HELL are you showing me the trailer now, you sadistic bastards!?”