Movie Review: Green Lantern
An ancient evil has escaped his prison and now threatens Earth. Hal Jordan, a reckless test pilot has been chosen to take up the fight as the newest member of the Green Lantern Corps.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — DC really should stick to their animated movies. This live action Green Lantern was okay. The effects were nice, the plot was tried and true, and the acting was decent. I loved the edition of Angela Basset as Amanda Waller even if she was a very skinny Amanda Waller. 😛
However, I like the animated intro ‘Green Lantern: First Flight‘ far better than the live action movie. In fact, the live action movie only made me want to see the two Green Lantern animated movies over again.
According to my husband, a major Green Lantern fan, they stuck pretty close to Hal Jordan’s origin story (not that hard considering it’s so simplistic). However, I felt like they were amalgamating Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner to get the character that showed up in this movie. The costume design didn’t help to alleviate that opinion any.
I would say this movie is nothing but a set up (stepping stone, if you will) for the next movie. If you don’t know the story line, then it’s best to see it before the second movie comes out so you have some background. If you do know the story line, then you could skip and just wait for the second movie, which I’m hoping will be better.
Until then, go watch the animated movies.
Parents — There is violence and people dying. Pretty much par for the course with comic book movies. If you have no issue with your kids watching the other DC movies, then you will have no issue with this one.
– Cowboys & Aliens – This will be out soon. I’m looking forward to it.
– Moneyball – A true story based on how baseball changed and the coach that changed it. Uh huh. I don’t usually watch true stories until they come on TV.
– Rise of the Planet of the Apes – The hubby wants to see this. I’m not sure I do.
– Fright Night – David Tennant!! Woohoo. I’m there.
– Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – I will be very happy after I see this movie because it’ll mean it’s all over. No more HP. The collector in me can close the book on another collection.
– Horrible Bosses – Should be called Horrible Movie. This looks very stupid. I won’t be seeing any more of it than what I saw in the previews.